One of the most last-minute and rewarding aspects of this little office makeover was reupholstering this glider and making pillowcases for the futon cushions. First things first: the fabric. All three fabrics (grey arrows, yellow tribal, blue crosses) are duck cloth from Hobby Lobby. At full price, duck cloth is around $10 a yard (not bad for upholstery), but with the magical Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon, bring that sucker down to $6. YES PLEASE. For the glider, I ended up using about 4 yards. I bought one yard of the tribal, which barely worked. And I got 4 yards of the blue, which made the three pillow cases here and 2 more that you’ll see in my own living room soon. Hehe.
These are envelope pillowcases, and they’re so easy it’s stupid. If you know how to do a straight stitch on a sewing machine, you can whip these babies up in about 5 minutes per pillow. Yeah. An awesome tutorial for these can be found at A Curiously Chic Life.
Because this was done in a frenzy over the holidays while my in-laws watched my children for me, I did not take many instructional photos, so hang with me. You can still do this easily. The ottoman was the easiest part: unscrew the cushion from the frame; wrap the cushion tightly with the fabric; staple or tack the fabric in place; reassemble. It’s exactly like the dining chair reupholstery that I did back in May.
The seat cushion was the most grueling part of this, and it wasn’t so bad, just kind of like doing a puzzle (maybe because I’ve never done this before and was kind of just winging it). I took the old fabric off the cushion and traced it’s shape on the back of the fabric. When cutting out the shape, I allowed for about a 1/2-inch seam allowance (I added a half inch to the shape so it was a little bigger). I measured the sides and cut those shapes out and proceeded to assemble the sides with a sewing machine. When I had just one side left to sew, I slipped the cushion in and hand sewed it closed. The only downside to this method is that you have to spot clean it (no tossing this in the wash, since it’s not easily removed).
The back cushion was similar, but easier since it only has a front and a back (no sides). I traced the cushion, added some ties (I wasn’t going to mess with those snaps), and assembled. Again, I hand sewed it closed once the cushion was inside.
Like I said, easy.
Come back tomorrow to see even more of this sweet office makeover. I’m having fun showing it off. 🙂